The right occupation for domestic cats
Domestic cats need employment, variety, and entertainment to make them happy. Because if they are not busy, many things are destroyed or scratched in search of employment in the apartment. Even with free-range cats, game units should be an integral part of living together between humans and animals.
Games for cats
- Balls of aluminum foil – but not too small because of the risk of swallowing
- Fill capsules of surprise eggs with rice or different small objects – the different sounds are interesting for cats
- Any kind of string, string, wool, bast
But be careful: Only play with it under the supervision and put it out of reach after playing, because in addition to the risk of strangulation cats can eat cords too!
- Table tennis balls, tennis balls
- Cartons for hiding, for tearing, cardboard boxes with potholes
Games from the pet shop
- Fur mice of all kinds, standing mice, squeaky mice, pull-up mice
- Fishing toys: eg a fishing rod with leather cords, with feathers, with a stuffed animal
- Snuggle and Rascheltunnel to hide and to the acoustic charm
- Scratching toy made of sisal
- Catnip toys
Create visual stimuli
Although cats spend a lot of their time around, they do not sleep. Create visual stimuli for this time, for example by setting up the seats and berths on windows – so the tomb tiger can observe what’s going on outside. An aquarium also gives the cats a visual appeal. But beware: Of course, an open fishbowl is not recommended.
Climbing possibilities are extremely important, especially for fat cats. The most important criteria for a cat-friendly climbing tree include:
- Continuous climbing route without obstructing intermediate boards
- Stability and stability of the tree
- Descent for small and not too steep jumps (about 100 cm, 45 degree angle)
- Safe viewpoints
In addition to climbing opportunities, cats also need scratch marks. They want materials that neatly fly the shreds: rough, cracked bark, softwood, and coarse textured natural textiles. Good scratch marks are, for example, on the way from the sleeping area to Fressnapf. Pay attention here to stability, sufficient height (about 120 cm) and cat-friendly material such as a scraper made of sisal or coconut fiber.
Cat experts recommend a daily evening game of at least 20 minutes. Since cats are lurking hunters, you should make sure before the round of play for cover options: side boxes, a carpet or blanket raised to large wrinkles or an upside down laundry basket offer hiding places.